Drink Driving Education Courses
Bakers Solicitors is an accredited provider of the Department for Transport's Drink Drive Rehabilitation Scheme (DDRS). We provide courses throughout Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Lincolnshire and Manchester.
Referred drink drivers who successfully complete a course with us are eligible for a reduction in their disqualification of up to 25%. The DDRS course is designed to be educational; covering alcohol education, impact on health, responsible driving, the law, sentencing, and victims. Most courses are run over three days in a two - three week period on weekdays . Independent research shows attendance on a course significantly reduces reconviction rates. Many participants also benefit from reduced insurance premiums.
Course Content and Benefits
All participants who are offered the option of attending a course by the court, and who complete the course with us, will get a reduction of their disqualification:
If you have been given a 12 month ban then you will receive a 3 month reduction upon completion
When the ban is longer than 12 months you can receive up to a quarter off the ban. Sometimes it is less, it depends on what the magistrates told you in court, for example:
- 16 month ban - up to 4 months reduction
- 24 month ban - up to 6 months reduction
- 36 month ban - up to 9 months reduction
A reduction in your ban means more than just starting to drive again. It improves employment opportunites via easier commuting to work, particularly making shift work easier and will also help recover your social life.
Drink drivers who are referred to us by the courts can complete a course at any of our 4 venues, all of which have been chosen for their proximity to local transport and onsite facilties, they are:
Pavilion Gardens, St Johns Road, Buxton, SK17 6BE
Buxton Methodist Church, Chapel Street Buxton SK176HX
Chesterfield Methodist Church, Saltergate, Chesterfield S40 1UH
Stalybridge Community Room, Stalybridge Fire Station, Rassbottom Street, Stalybridge, SK151RF
What Does the Course Cover?
- The course looks at alcohol and helps you to understand how to separate it from your driving. We are not looking to get you to give up alcohol and we do not provide a counselling service;
- You will understand how little alcohol it takes to be over the limit 'the next day'.
- You will look at the effects that alcohol can have on your health;
- You will find out how you can be arrested for a 'drink driving' offence even by sleeping in a car after drinking;
- You will explore the decision making that magistrates go through in drink drive cases;
- You will hear about the loss suffered by relatives of victims of drink drivers; and
- You will be given details of how to apply for your licence back, together with details of insurance companies that offer reasonable rates for people who have completed a course.
You will be a safer driver. Research has shown, over a 6 year period, that 17% of people who DO NOT attend a course are caught again drink driving. For those who DO attend a course, only 7% are caught again.
What Previous Participants Say:
The course has helped me a lot from understanding alcohol units to showing me consequences and helping me to change my attitude to drink driving and Tony did a brilliant job in making it enjoyable and educational.
A good course and I'm glad I took it. It has made me aware of both health and the effects of alcohol.
The course has had a major impact on my knowledge about drinking in general. It has completely shown me that NO alcohol when driving is the only way.
It has changed my attitude towards my lifestyle and relationship with alcohol.
I am really glad I took this course and agreed to do it with Tony Dales (Bakers Solicitors). It really has opened my eyes to everything involved with my actions that brought me here.
If you would like any further information regarding the DDRS course call Tony Dales on 01457 859123 or email him Tdales@bakers-solicitors.com